Greatest Girls’s Light-weight Rain Jackets for Mountain climbing in 2022
Through the years I’ve executed my share of mountaineering within the rain. Other than the 5 years I lived within the Pacific Northwest, on a Bearfoot Principle group journey to Alaska, we spent 8 strong days backpacking within the rain. Mountain climbing within the rain and staying snug is a little bit of an artwork, but it surely all begins with having the best gear.
That can assist you keep dry in no matter situations you could face, we put collectively this checklist of the most effective rain jackets for ladies which have withstood the check of the path by the Bearfoot Principle group. On the very backside, we speak concerning the supplies and technical options of mountaineering rain jackets that will help you decide precisely what you want.
Greatest Girls’s Rain Jackets At A Look
Greatest Girls’s Rain Jackets Comparability Desk
See the comparability desk beneath for a fast abstract of every of the highest ladies’s rain jackets. You may click on on the columns to type by what’s most vital to you.
Greatest Rain Jacket for Downpours
Arc’teryx Beta AR Girls’s Rain Jacket
- Weight: 13.2 ounces
- Extremely waterproof and windproof with 3-layer Gortex safety
- Pit-zips to maintain the air flowing
- Weatherproof zippers
- Adjustable hem wire to maintain chilly air out on chilly, windy days
- MSRP: $599
Examine Value: REI
Nice for: mountaineering in downpours, individuals dwelling in wet climates
Professionals: most waterproof jacket on the checklist, “Lifetime of product” guarantee, very sturdy
Cons: costly funding, heavier and bulkier than different jackets
Arc’teryx is likely one of the costlier out of doors manufacturers, and for years I puzzled in the event that they had been definitely worth the value. Then proper earlier than my Alaska backpacking journey the place I wanted to be ready for the weather, I discovered the Arc’teryx Beta AR rain jacket for 30% off at REI and determined to strive it out. After mountaineering by downpours 8 of 10 days on that backpacking journey, I’m so completely happy I made the funding. I by no means felt clammy, damp, or chilly sporting the Beta rain jacket and the waterproof zippers prevented water from seeping in. It saved me utterly dry, the jacket itself dried shortly, and the pit zips had been important for avoiding feeling sweaty and clammy. This jacket additionally holds up towards the wind very well.
If you reside within the PNW or one other moist, chilly local weather or have a backpacking journey the place the climate is a serious concern and want one thing that may maintain up towards plenty of rain and wind, this jacket is an superior selection. For drier climates, lugging this jacket round is likely to be a bit overkill, relying on the season. I took it on a backpacking journey within the Sierras final summer season and it was positively greater than I wanted for the occasional sprinkle for the reason that Beta jacket is stiffer and doesn’t pack down in addition to extra light-weight choices.
General, I’m so completely happy to have made the funding on this rain jacket and it’s my go-to for mountaineering within the PNW and different wet climates, but it surely’s not the rain jacket I pack for each out of doors journey. If you would like one thing a bit extra light-weight, take a look at the Arc’terx Beta LT.
Greatest Ultralight Rain Jacket for Backpacking
Outside Analysis Girls’s Helium Rain Jacket
- Weight: 5.5 ounces
- No-frills elastic cuffs
- Constructed with a number of the highest expertise with Pertex Protect+ 2.5-layer nylon.
- Water-repellent entrance zipper
- Adjustable hood
- MSRP: $159
Examine Value: Outdoor Research | REI | Backcountry
Nice for: ultralight backpacking, tossing in your daypack or automotive for emergencies
Professionals: packs all the way down to pocket-size, probably the most light-weight jackets on our checklist, breathable
Cons: no hand pockets, not a ton of additional options
This Outdoor Research Helium Rain Jacket is nice for backpackers and hikers who wish to shed weight from their pack. Bearfoot Principle’s former neighborhood supervisor, Kim, packed this rain jacket on her Pacific Crest Path thru-hike and cherished the way it packed down tremendous small and held up towards the weather. Weighing lower than 6 ounces, it’s the most light-weight rain jacket in the marketplace! That is additionally an ideal rain jacket choice to toss in your mountaineering daypack for emergencies because it weighs subsequent to nothing.
Nonetheless, the largest draw back of this jacket is there are not any facet pockets, so in case you are somebody who likes to carry your keys, telephone, or pockets in your pocket whilst you’re mountaineering or taking a stroll within the rain, this will not be the jacket for you.
Greatest Finances-Pleasant Rain Jacket
REI Rainier Girls’s Rain Jacket
- Weight: 11.4 ounces
- Packs into its personal zipper
- Bluesign® accepted material, which means its manufacturing has the bottom attainable affect on individuals and the surroundings
- Windproof to 60 mph
- Pit zips
- Adjustable hood
- Sealed seams to forestall leakage
- MSRP: $99.95
Examine Value: REI
Nice for: finances buys, summer season journeys, light-weight backpacking, mountaineering, and tenting
Professionals: versatile for a lot of out of doors adventures, holds up in windy situations
Cons: doesn’t maintain up in heavy rain, not nicely vented
The REI Rainier Women’s Rain Jacket gives unbelievable worth at a finances value! At lower than $90, it’s the most effective rain jackets for ladies on a finances and is the rain jacket that Linda, Bearfoot Principle’s Director of Operations, at the moment sports activities on wet day adventures. She’s been utilizing it on all her mountaineering, tenting, and backpacking journeys since getting it final yr and completely loves it.
The Rainier Rain Jacket is light-weight and does an ideal job at repelling rain and blocking out wind. It has all of the options we search for in a rain jacket, like pit zips, an adjustable hood, and pockets in all the best locations, plus it additionally comes at an ideal value level. She loves this rain jacket a lot that she additionally purchased one for her husband for Christmas. You can find the men’s version here.
Greatest Eco-Pleasant Rain Jacket
Patagonia Torrentshell Girls’s Rain Jacket
- Weight: 12.5 ounces
- 3-layer waterproof jacket that provides long-term efficiency
- Jacket stuffs into pocket and clips to your pack with a carabiner
- Sturdy water repellent zippers
- Two-way adjustable hood
- MSRP: $149
Examine Value: Patagonia | REI | Backcountry
Nice for: individuals seeking to purchase eco-friendly gear, windy situations, mountaineering in downpours
Professionals: deep pockets, Bluesign-approved material – created from recycled nylon waste, good wind resistance
Cons: stiff materials, runs small (really helpful to order a measurement up)
We’re large followers of Patagonia at Bearfoot Principle, due to their sustainable enterprise practices and high-quality gear. So it’s no shock that the Patagonia Torrentshell made the checklist of the most effective ladies’s rain jackets. This light-weight rain jacket is made with sustainable, eco-friendly supplies, has an adjustable hood, and is available in quite a lot of colours. This jacket holds up extraordinarily nicely within the wind, conserving you not solely dry however heat.
Greatest Light-weight Rain Jacket for Journey
Eddie Bauer Girls’s Cloud Cap Rain Jacket
- Weight: 8 ounces
- StormRepel Tremendous DWR
- 2.5-layer WeatherEdge® seam-sealed
- Waterproof coated entrance zipper
- Pit zips
- MSRP: $99
Examine Value: Eddie Bauer
Nice for: journey, summer season use, light-weight backpacking
Professionals: probably the most light-weight jacket choices, adjustable hood
Cons: material makes a crinkly noise when sporting
Linda, BFT’s Director, wore the Eddie Bauer Women’s Cloud Cap Rain Jacket on a visit to Yosemite Nationwide Park and had an opportunity to try it out on the Mist Path and in a summer season thunderstorm. The decision? It’s the right ultralightweight rain shell, particularly in heat climate and on backpacking journeys the place you don’t wish to carry any further weight. She additionally wore this rain jacket in Hawaii and loves that it’s stylish sufficient to put on round city in addition to on the mountaineering trails.
Because it packs down so small and is so gentle, it’s straightforward to throw in your daypack or journey bag so that you’re ready in case you get caught in a day downpour. It has pit-zips for air flow and an adjustable hood – two options we think about important for any rain jacket, and it folds up small into the right-hand pocket making it straightforward to deliver alongside on any journey.
Most Sturdy Rain Jacket
Black Diamond Stormline Stretch Girls’s Rain Shell
- Weight: 8.7 ounces
- Constructed from Black Diamond’s proprietary BD.Dry 2.5 layer material
- Pit zips
- Adjustable hood
- Waterproof coated entrance zipper
- Packs into hand pocket
- MSRP: $159
Examine Value: REI | Black Diamond | Backcountry
Nice for: out of doors sports activities like biking and climbing, heavy rain, light-weight backpacking
Professionals: extraordinarily sturdy material, breathable, probably the most light-weight jacket choices
Cons: outsized hood (when you’re not utilizing it for biking), stiff material
You would possibly know Black Diamond from their climbing or backcountry ski gear, however additionally they make unbelievable ladies’s out of doors attire. This Black Diamond Stormline Stretch Women’s Rain Shell will stand as much as no matter nature throws at it.
This rain jacket has related options to most of the different jackets on this checklist and is available in quite a lot of colours. What units the Stormline other than the opposite rain jackets on our checklist is that this jacket is tailor-made for out of doors sports activities like climbing and biking with ultra-stretchy material for added mobility and a climbing-helmet-compatible hood. If you would like a ladies’s rain jacket that may sustain with all of your out of doors sports activities, that is the one.
Greatest Worth Rain Jacket
North Face Enterprise 2 Girls’s Rain Jacket
- Weight: 10.6 ounces
- 2.5 layer waterproof and windproof material
- Pit zips
- Packs into hand pocket
- Absolutely taped seams
- Value: $98.95
Examine value: REI | Backcountry | Moosejaw
Nice for: brief hikes, dry climates
Professionals: a tried and examined mannequin that has been round for over a decade, nice worth for value
Cons: can really feel sticky if mountaineering for prolonged intervals of time in it
One other budget-friendly shell on this checklist of the most effective rain jackets for ladies is the North Face Venture 2. This was my rain jacket earlier than I upgraded to the Arc’teryx, and I discovered it to be efficient, snug, and sturdy. It’s an ideal rain jacket selection for shorter outings the place you would possibly encounter scattered showers or backpacking journeys in drier climates the place climate isn’t an enormous concern. It packs down tremendous small, is light-weight, and has a stretchier texture that I discover fairly snug in comparison with different rain jackets.
This jacket doesn’t present a lot wind safety or heat and I wouldn’t depend on it for prolonged downpours or tremendous moist climates. If I hike for lengthy intervals of time on this jacket, I can begin to really feel sticky, but it surely does have pit zips which helps regulate temperature. Be warned, this jacket does are inclined to run small so I like to recommend sizing up to make sure a roomy slot in case you wish to layer with base layers beneath.
6 Components to Contemplating When Shopping for a New Rain Jacket
The worth of a rain jacket does make a distinction since you’ll get greater high quality merchandise which have gone by extra testing, analysis, and improvement to make sure they work nicely. Whereas a decrease or mid-priced mountaineering raincoat will nonetheless get the job executed, it typically comes at the price of some consolation, whether or not that’s a sturdy Gore-tex outer layer or breathability and air flow on the within that may reduce sweating.
Though it’s powerful to spend a bigger chunk of change on a bit of drugs, it’s typically definitely worth the cash and may prevent from having to exchange that merchandise a number of occasions sooner or later. Consider it as an funding that may final you for a few years, somewhat than an overpriced piece of drugs. On this case, it’s value it.
In the event you’re on a finances, select a high quality mid-priced raincoat – the REI Rainier Rain Jacket is a great option – that has the options you want and use most frequently. Contemplate the actions you do most frequently and select a light-weight rain jacket that fits your mountaineering model. Likelihood is you may resell it if it’s nonetheless in good situation and when it’s worthwhile to improve you’ll know precisely what to purchase.
One other nice possibility to save cash is to purchase gently used out of doors gear.
2. Waterproof vs. Water-Resistant
If you’re investing in a sturdy and efficient rain jacket that may stand as much as the wind and rain, you’ll need one thing that’s waterproof. Whereas waterproof raincoats are good for gentle wind and rain, they don’t have as many technical components and the material received’t do you a lot good in a storm.
A lightweight windbreaker is an effective instance of a waterproof jacket and you may think about how that will fare when you get caught in an sudden thunderstorm on the path (spoiler: not nicely).
A mountaineering rain jacket ought to match free sufficient that you may add further layers beneath and have vary of movement that means that you can transfer your arms round comfortably. It also needs to match cosy sufficient so that you don’t have an excessive amount of further material getting in the best way as you might be mountaineering.
4. Jacket Supplies
In the event you’ve ever been for a hike within the rain, then you definitely would possibly know the way uncomfortable and distracting it’s to really feel moist from the rain whereas additionally struggling by that sticky feeling of your jacket clinging to your pores and skin out of your sweat.
A great raincoat will assist preserve you dry by conserving moisture out from the skin whereas additionally permitting sweat or different water vapors from the within to evaporate.
Listed below are the commonest waterproof materials you’ll discover when selecting a mountaineering raincoat.
- Gor-Tex: We regularly point out Gore-Tex right here at Bearfoot Principle as a result of it’s a well-liked technical material that’s generally utilized in waterproof out of doors gear. Gore-Tex is an artificial, waterproof material that retains you dry within the rain or snow. Its light-weight development makes merchandise with Gore-Tex nice for breathability and air flow so that you received’t get overheated once you’re scorching on a wet hike. A raincoat with Gore-Tex is a sturdy, waterproof possibility that helps preserve you cool and dry.
- Sturdy Water Repellent (DWR): DWR is an additional coating that gear firms add to mountaineering raincoats that permit them to actually repel water from the jacket. As water hits the floor of the material it beads up and rolls proper off somewhat than getting absorbed or evaporating. DWR positively retains you dry, nevertheless, it could make a raincoat barely much less breathable. It additionally requires a little bit of repairs as a result of the end can put on off over time, so you could must reapply a brand new DWR coating on occasion. Both approach, DWR is a good possibility for staying dry and sometimes comes at a cheaper price than Gore-Tex.
There are a couple of different supplies that main out of doors manufacturers are utilizing, akin to DryVent, eVent, and so on, typically with proprietary expertise, however Gore-Tex and DWR are essentially the most generally utilized in the most effective rain jackets for ladies.
>> Learn Subsequent: Ideas for Mountain climbing within the Rain
5. Variety of Cloth Layers
Most raincoats have a 2, 2.5, or 3 layer development to them that sandwiches the a number of completely different layers or membranes of cloth collectively to create a water-resistant jacket. Right here’s a fast breakdown of the three sorts that may provide help to navigate the product description and the worth when you’re selecting a mountaineering raincoat.
- Midweight 2 Layer Rain Jacket: The midweight 2 layer raincoat is a extra budget-friendly possibility that often prices underneath $100. It’s the least technical model and has a mesh liner, in order that they are typically breathable, however don’t have as strong of waterproofing. It’s good for sporting round city and shorter hikes the place it would rain. (Instance: North Face Venture Rain Jacket)
- Midweight 2.5 Layer Rain Jacket: The mid-range 2.5 layer raincoat is a greater waterproof possibility and barely much less breathable than a 2 layer. Nonetheless, it’s a good selection for longer wet hikes and backpacking journeys. These rain jackets are light-weight and compact with extra technical options like pit zips and DWR. 2.5 layer rain jackets can price over $100. (Instance: Outdoor Research Helium Rain Jacket)
- 3 Layer Rain Jacket: Essentially the most sturdy and technical possibility is the three layer raincoat, also referred to as a hardshell, which gives final safety, typically in a light-weight package deal. It is a nice possibility for backcountry and harsh climates and may price $150-$300+. (Instance: Patagonia Torrentshell)
6. Essential Options
Earlier than you buy a rain jacket, be sure you take into accounts what options you need and want akin to:
- Adjustable Hood: Having hood to guard your face and eyes from the weather is a vital function of a mountaineering rain jacket. Search for one that’s adjustable and has a brim to protect your eyes from wind and rain.
- Armpit Vents: It is a MUST for me with any rain jacket I purchase. When there may be an excessive amount of humidity within the air for simply your mountaineering raincoat to do the trick, strategically positioned vents, particularly across the armpits, might be your new greatest associates. Pit vents launch heat air, and a few even have vents within the hood or the pocket linings.
- Adjustability drawcords: If you end up out in gale-force wind and rain, and even one thing rather less intense, adjustable drawcords within the hem or waist of your raincoat will cinch within the material to assist preserve the weather out.
- Sealed Zippers: Zippers are locations the place moisture can seep into the within of your rain jacket. Bonded seams on the zippers will assist preserve the rain out, and issues like laminated zippers and a zipper storage (a small flap of cloth to cowl the zipper when zipped) will preserve you dry.
Associated weblog posts:
What’s your favourite light-weight rain jacket for mountaineering? Inform us within the feedback beneath!